Washington Post 1 Dec:
“For more than four hours, the insurgents were in a show of strength reminiscent of the power displays of the Saddam regime.”
— Reported today via Mohammad Hamed, deputy governor for administrative affairs of Anbar province, of which Ramadi is the capital, 40 miles east of Fallujah.
al-Qaeda in Iraq reportedly dropped leaflets throughout the Ramadi today in advance of a meeting between U.S. military officials and anti-occupation tribal leaders.
“The Americans found it sufficient to keep their planes flying overhead, whose roars we heard very clearly,” said Hamed according to the Post.
Stay tuned… as The Plan continues….
Apparently to scare the shit out of everybody, but with little supporting evidence, other than that this information was obtained in a “secret poll” conducted for the British Ministry of Defense, the Sunday Telegraph released this data:
The survey was conducted by an Iraqi university research team that, for security reasons, was not told the data it compiled would be used by coalition forces. It reveals:
- Forty-five per cent of Iraqis believe attacks against British and American troops are justified – rising to 65 per cent in the British-controlled Maysan province;
- 82 per cent are “strongly opposed” to the presence of coalition troops;
- less than one per cent of the population believes coalition forces are responsible for any improvement in security;
- 67 per cent of Iraqis feel less secure because of the occupation;
- 43 per cent of Iraqis believe conditions for peace and stability have worsened;
- 72 per cent do not have confidence in the multi-national forces.
… Islamic radicalism is doomed to fail.”
“The outcome is not in doubt.”
applause. (today at the Reagan Library)
Bonus: Love letters from Harriet.
Christopher Hitchens, whom I love to read and is totally insistent on this war, and moreso on the fact that he believes he is the only person who can validate its purposes went to war himself last night with George Galloway. Download the show from KPFT. A BitTorrent of the video of the debate is available here.
Now, Hitchens most recently published “10 Reasons to go to war” in Weekly Standard. Juan Cole says he went 0 for 10.