- @tomdog yup. Interviewed Fred about 10 years ago at the originl velvet lounge. Neverpublished, still on minidisc. Fred anderson is the man! in reply to tomdog #
- So incredibly tempted to catch matana roberts/jeff parker/fred anderson at velvet lounge tonight. Miss the chitown jazz scene. Hrmmm #
- Drinking a Guinness at some new irish pub in Highwood. Yes, Highwood, IL. thinking maybe Bay Area next weekend. Goin to see Milk in a few #
Been having fun with LaLa.com lately — really straining to remember the tracks I’d repeatedly listen to back in the day — which for me was 1991, when I’d make a dozen mix tapes and rock out driving back and forth to high school, etc. I was 16 and there was nothing more liberating than driving around rockin’ out.
Lala.com is interesting. First of all, I was confused because I initially signed up for LaLa (under a diff username) when it served as middleman in a CD-swapping online network that never really took off. I traded one CD through the service (Billy Bragg for Swearing at Motorists) and continued to get occasional requests for a few CDs I was happy to part with (Prince 3121 anybody?) and finally closed that account now that LaLa has redefined itself as a legit music listening and sharing (via embed / recommendation / iTunes) social network.
I’m currently listening to this great interview with Paul Westerberg, circa 1986 on the release of Pleased to Meet Me. Westerberg is sounding drowsy, but is definitely at his rolling-stone-critics-poll loves me I’m a serious songwriter phase. He sloughs of the bands “firing” of Bob Stinson noting that he just can’t do stuff like “Nightclub Jitters.” Interviewer Roy Trakin mentions that Bob Dylan bought tickets for that night’s show… “It’s always weird, y’know…” says Paul. Fun chatter about “Alex Chilton” and what happened to Big Star, etc. He kinda likes the Coronas that everyone is throwing around these days, but his preference is Grolsch. Special Export better than Bud. Then your typical “I hate myself… I just don’t understand myself.” The band was making $750/month each according to Westerberg at that time. But the band did it for a good 10 years, and personally, I can never get enough of the ‘Mats.
In other news, I can’t stop listening to Screaming Trees Uncle Anesthesia. It was one of my favorite tapes of the early ’90s that nobody else seemed to be into (ironically, I had a similar experience with Smashing Pumpkins Gish at the time). Mark Lanegan’s voice was the real deal Still is.
Complaints about LaLa: big one here — the AJAX is a little screwy using Firefox 3.0.4 on Mac. I can’t copy the embed code to paste into this blog and I have a little trouble logging in — it often takes two tries for it to execute. Couldn’t copy / paste an embed code on Opera either. Or Safari. I’ve managed to put it on my Facebook profile (via the LaLa app) but that’s about it. I’ll embed this Westerberg Interview as soon as I figure out why I can’t successfully copy / paste the code!
- considering “Don’t Stop Believin'” is the most popular iTunes track EVER @mspiegelman may have the right idea. Go Y! Music http://tr.im/19s1 #
- @LiveEarth India is ON like Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Now to celebrate @techzulu’s birthday at the roos in reply to LiveEarth #
- Gmail is lookin Pantone 7451C periwinkle and chat doesn’t work. I’m playing with lala.com, rockin Tristeza and “blastin’ thru it” as we say #
- @mvermut that’s easy — take a free ride on the ad free Live365 and tune into WOOZradio: http://tinyurl.com/6e4mbz in reply to mvermut #
- @mvermut oops – didn’t realize that went straight to a paywall. here’s the free option: http://www.live365.com/stations/netzoo in reply to mvermut #
- @alanataylor and others — here’s the link to revert back to “older” version of Gmail UI – http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1 in reply to alanataylor #
- logged into MSN messenger 1st time ever for the one colleague on MSN. all i get is spam despite having no info besides age-old hotmail addy #
- At mindshare. 3d printer preso. Total urban legend imho. Idealab even. Ask.com anyone? Will believe it only when I feel it #
- Oil under $50/barrel. Remember when they said $200 by ’09? Cuz we know so much. We really think we know so what #
- @bwank settings->themes->classic should fix yer Gmail fail. in reply to bwank #
- RT @creativecommons: CC founder Lawrence Lessig will be on the Charlie Rose show tonight: http://ping.fm/jep7b + http://change-congress.org #
- someone is rocking an 80’s mix outside my office and, well, the inevitable just happened. Guess he really never gonna desert me. #
- checkin @blovi8 per @josholaila reco. what is the point? what’s wrong with craigslist? I do like the Shepard Fairey wallpaper though. #
- what are YOUR favorite tools and strategies for tracking / analyzing the spread of specific chatter on the web, boards, 2.0hs, blogs? #
- Hillary SoS news gave me a chill. hard to trust her neocon tendencies + jaded fingers-on-chalkboard rallying voice. Prefer her to Kerry tho #
Let’s hope so. I haven’t been blogging much lately as I’m incredibly busy in my relatively new gig as Interactive Director at Live Earth. Live Earth India is less than three weeks away. Needless to say, it’s great to hear some of the sentiment coming out of the Governors’ Global Climate Summit today in Beverly Hills. As symbolic as it may seem, the key is to keep pumping the message and the desire to aggressively curtail the climate crisis.