Let’s hope so. I haven’t been blogging much lately as I’m incredibly busy in my relatively new gig as Interactive Director at Live Earth. Live Earth India is less than three weeks away. Needless to say, it’s great to hear some of the sentiment coming out of the Governors’ Global Climate Summit today in Beverly Hills. As symbolic as it may seem, the key is to keep pumping the message and the desire to aggressively curtail the climate crisis.
- @briansolis wrote a *must-read* post on @al_gore’s Web 2.0 keynote: Al Gore & the Social Revolution of Change (w/ pix) http://ping.fm/o7FoL #
- @tanjab http://twitpic.com/l143 – that’s literally a sweeping if not racist and likely 100% inaccurate headline #
- @michaelpilla 100% may be the result of an exit poll sample but is anything ever really 100%? Other #’s seem high too. what’re the REAL #’s? #
- @michaelpilla but this poll is not professional, it’s from LMU students trying out the “Racially Stratified Homogeneous Precinct Approach” #
- affligem noel at blue palms tweet-up with @darkknight247 @bushmanbill, others, talkin emo design, tasty beer #
- @michaelpilla @tanjab my disbelief stems not from the whatever++ percent in LA voted Obama, but that more than half of those voted Yes on 8. #
- @ev now you’re playing with power 😉 #
- @AndrewWarner say it ain’t so. what? and BitTorrent is the next Friendster? Buddy Chat ya later, holmes… #
- @NicoleJordan enjoy BKK and environs w/ @jackiepeters @gregarious and co. go straight to beach. Oh, and say hi to my roommate Greg 😉 #
- Palin will run in 2012 if its “God’s will.” Clearly there is no god in politics, and thats breaking, Wolf 😉 #
- cmon @barackobama, auto industry shouldn’t get a dime until it really steps up w/ better, greener, dareisay cooler cars. payoffstudentloans #
- Why Re-Tweet when you can ParaTweet (PT)? It’s just as deserving of attribution #
- Citi is sending me an AA companion ticket after I called requesting to close account after collecting miles #travelhacks #
- I just donated to IVAW (Iraq Veterans Against War) in honor of veterans and active soldiers at war. Felt good. Here’s why http://tr.im/D5p #
- way cooler than the GMail vid chat is the ability to translate RSS feeds on the fly in Google Reader. http://tr.im/1022 #
- yay. John Roderick (The Long Winters) will be joining @jonathancoulton and @hodgman at Echoplex tomorrow night! http://tinyurl.com/5j7hw3 #
- I’m such a sucker for @garyvee’s free shipping deals. + my original wristband is all worn out. Happy bday week @garyvee. Bring the thunder! #
- @Carolineoncrack re: “blogger parties” it’s the NEW new marketing for a broke-ass economy. but bloggers don’t HAVE to give good reviews 😉 #
- RT @LAist: County of Los Angeles Joins SF and Santa Clara Counties in Lawsuit Against Prop 8: http://is.gd/7d9G #
- @baratunde @TheOnion LOLZ I’d love to know how many people buy it. Can’t believe how much The NYTimes, Tribune are charging for old papers. #
- Why are so many .edu domains NOT no-www compliant? I’m looking at YOU: columbia.edu, uiowa.edu, indiana.edu Anyone know? seems a bit silly. #
- missed opportunity: great american steak & fry co. really shoulda sponsored this great american shakeout earthquake drill #
- in honor of the Great Shakeout, here’s The Bird and the Bee, “Preparedness” chillout, y’all. http://songza.com/z/iqwr6e #
- how would one download podcasts over the air to Blackberry Bold? Love that feature on the N95 #
- Cubs finally put 1998 behind them, say goodbye to Kerry Wood. Maybe next year really is *the* year. Now gimme Lowe/Peavy http://tr.im/12l2 #
- @artindeepkoma Gregg will be a fine setup man for Carlos Marmol #
- thinking about pre- @hodgman recital grub at Masa. Hoping for the extremely experimental, i.e.: http://tinyurl.com/6hncru #
- 100+ No on 8 protesters outside El Coyote. Traffic slow for 1 block on Beverly. Peaceful, jubilant, no visible 5-0 #
- finally had a reason to use DownThemAll plugin today. It’s come along way… great for passing assets through the cloud when FTP is no go. #
- everytime I see people reference QoS I can’t help but think of @queenofspain. Seems a lot of people want to see you tomorrow, QoS. #
- totally distracted from work by photos of Montecito Tea Fire. 70 + homes destroyed?!? Had to post it up for @LAist: http://tr.im/1327 #
- laist #
- LOLZ. thanks twitter for making the “delete” feature temporarily unavailable. Sorry for that last one – was intended for search box replizes #
- http://twitpic.com/loay – @MissMotorMouth yes, I went there, and sadly no — can not destroy. watch your libel, tweeps… no delete! #
- The AP keeps conflating Montecito with celebrities. Typical SoCal linkbaiting. Only “celeb” I know of out there is @dsearls. Hope yr hou … #
- @tanjab not saying there arent celebs with property in #
- montecito, but i’m celebrity-stupid 😉 #
It’s the 8th Veterans Day since 9/11 and while hundreds of thousands of troops remain deployed in unstable areas of Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere, what’s truly discomforting is the number of Veterans of the wars of this decade who are unable to return to normal citizen lives.
At least 4,780 U.S. servicemen and women are listed as casualties of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the Washington Post’s excellent tribute page.
Some estimates suggest there are more than 755,000 veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Of that group, more than 181,000 are collecting disability benefits today, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs. — philly.com
And considering the current unemployment rate over 6% and the fact that as many as 50 million Americans are without health insurance, today is a great day to give back — even just a little — if you’re fortunate enough to have both a job and health insurance and most of all, good health.
So today, I’m donating to Iraq Veterans Against War (part of the Veterans for Peace 501(c)(3)) in hopes that I can boost the morale of troops still on the ground — not knowing for sure when they’ll return. And ultimately in hopes that we won’t have to fight wars in the future that have no clear agenda or endgame.
This has received considerable attention in the MSM and among geeks like me. I’d just like to say that it registers with much pride that the Obama administration is so progressive as to embrace such web 2.0 tools (that I’ve tried to convince and train friends and family to similarly use for years) as Flickr, UStream, and now YouTube with the Change.gov channel. And not only that, but to take the extra step and switch the all rights reserved license to a Creative Commons license, which effectively abolishes any copyright / licensing issues anyone would have with republishing these photos non-commercially.
Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.