No, I didn’t get in a wreck. I leased a car for the first time in August ’07 and that lease ends next month.
Yes, after owning a couple black 2-dr Civics in my life I grew up and went for the “adult Civic” — the Acura TSX.
Now that my lease is coming to an end I’ve begun looking around and I see 3 potential scenarios panning out:
- Lease a new Acura TSX
- Buy or lease a sportier, fun 2-door
- Buy a clean diesel or hybrid
- a. Hold out for a 2011-model green car
Interestingly enough, I faced an almost identical three-pronged dilemma three years ago but this time — as with everything new — is different. Let’s play out the pros and cons:
Option 1: I lease a new Acura TSX. Not a very adventurous decision but a logical one.
36 mo. Lease (Estimated): $2,000 down + $325 – $350 / mo.
- I enjoyed my TSX and never (reeeaally) wished I had a different ride
- The latest model is nicer and is also available as a V6
- BUT… it’s a bigger car. More like the old TL. A little too big.
- I test-drove the v6 and it had pretty obnoxious (read: noisy, wasteful) pickup
- The 4-cylinder TSX has the same drivetrain and “power” as my current car but is (and feels) bigger and therefore slower
Conclusion: I’d feel like a slightly older man in a bigger car but would enjoy and trust it though i’d probably end up opting for the v6 for more zip.
Option 2: I’m 35, single, and may as well have a fun, sporty, and relatively pimpin’ ride
36 mo. Lease or used financed (Estimated): $2,000 down + $400 – $550 / mo.
Continue reading “Time for a New Car”